[Pharo-project] Help on collaborator Active book
laurent laffont
2010-04-18 08:19:49 UTC
Hi,

how to:
- upload / display pictures ?
- correctly highlight linux commands ? I use == but here
http://book.pharo-project.org/book/Virtual-Machine/Building/BuildVMOnLinux it
seems that / is a special character so the lines are red.

Cheers,

Laurent Laffont
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Post by laurent laffont
Hi,
- upload / display pictures ?
http://book.seaside.st/system/howto
Post by laurent laffont
- correctly highlight linux commands ? I use == but here http://book.pharo-project.org/book/Virtual-Machine/Building/BuildVMOnLinux it seems that / is a special character so the lines are red.
in text == fff ==

for block

==
==
==

now pier use shout to help and when this is
Post by laurent laffont
Cheers,
Laurent Laffont
Lukas Renggli
2010-04-18 09:02:33 UTC
Post by Stéphane Ducasse
for block
==
==
==
now pier use shout to help and when this is
I would only use

==
==
==

for Smalltalk, otherwise the highlighting is not correct. For Unix commands use

=
=
=

Lukas
Post by Stéphane Ducasse
Post by laurent laffont
Cheers,
Laurent Laffont
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch
laurent laffont
2010-04-18 09:28:12 UTC
OK thanks.

The page http://book.seaside.st/system/howto can be added somewhere in Pharo
book ?

Cheers,

Laurent Laffont
Post by Lukas Renggli
Post by Stéphane Ducasse
for block
==
==
==
now pier use shout to help and when this is
I would only use
==
==
==
for Smalltalk, otherwise the highlighting is not correct. For Unix commands use
=
=
=
Lukas
Post by Stéphane Ducasse
Post by laurent laffont
Cheers,
Laurent Laffont
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
yes i was going to copy it into the new help section. Can someone with
access to book.seaside.st send me the original markup? or tell me how
I can view the pier source. I have added a link for now.

I also created a sandbox for trying things out.

thanks,
Mike
Post by laurent laffont
OK thanks.
The page?http://book.seaside.st/system/howto?can be added somewhere in Pharo
book ?
Cheers,
Laurent Laffont
Post by Lukas Renggli
Post by Stéphane Ducasse
for block
==
==
==
now pier use shout to help and when this is
I would only use
==
==
==
for Smalltalk, otherwise the highlighting is not correct. For Unix commands use
=
=
=
Lukas
Post by Stéphane Ducasse
Post by laurent laffont
Cheers,
Laurent Laffont
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch
Lukas Renggli
2010-04-18 09:57:00 UTC
Post by Michael Roberts
yes i was going to copy it into the new help section. Can someone with
access to book.seaside.st send me the original markup? or tell me how
I can view the pier source. I have added a link for now.
+value:toc+

!Parts, Chapters, Sections, Subsections

Do not use the heading markup !, it cannot be properly converted to
Latex. Instead add a new structure for every section using the ==Add==
command. Name the section according to their latex label, only use
lowercase characters and no spaces. This is the name that will appear
in the URL. For the title capitalize the individual words.

Chapters, sections and subsections are displayed in the order they are
created. They can be rearranged using the ==Order== command.

!Figures

To embed a figure create a link of the form

=+foo.png|width=100%+

The line embeds the figure and sets the width of the image. For the
width use a percentage between 50% and 100%. Only upload PNG files
without transparency, no JPEG or GIF files. Do not upload files that
have spaces in their name. As the name property use the name of the
file you upload. Edit the title property, it will become the caption
of the image and show up in the index of figures.

If the figure does not exist yet, it will show as a red link. Clicking
on it allows you to create it. Chose "Book Figure" as the structure
type to create. Then on the next page edit the title (caption) and
upload the image.

!Keyword Index
To add a keyword to the index use ==\+index:WAComponent\+==. To add a
two level keyword use the syntax
==\+index:WAComponent!renderContentOn:\+==. Note that this markup does
not generate any output. Preferably put it at the beginning of the
paragraph.

!Source Code
For inlined source code use the syntax ==\==100 factorial\== ==. For
blocks of code that should be highlighted using the Smalltalk parser
begin each line with == \== ==. Use 4 spaces to indent the code, no
tabs.

==Integer>>factorial
== ^ self < 2
== ifTrue: [ 1 ]
== ifFalse: [ self * (self - 1) factorial ]

To have non highlighted code begin each line with a single =====.

=squeak -headless seaside.image

!References

To create references to chapters, sections or figures use the normal
link-syntax but prepend it with ==ref:==, for example:

=*ref:foo.png*
=*ref:../components*

@here
This will create a link of the form *Form 123>. at here* and *Section 4>. at here*.

!Paragraph
Avoid unnecessary line breaks in paragraphs. Don't use wrapped text,
that is clumsy and almost impossible to edit afterwards from the web
browser. In TextMate use the command ''Unwrap Paragraph
(Ctrl\+Alt\+Q)'' to properly format the paragraph before pasting into
Pier.

Use the syntax ==\@@important This is the paragraph text.== to
annotate a paragraph.

@@important This is an ==\@@important== paragraph.

@@blockquote This is a ==\@@blockquote== paragraph.

@@note This is a ==\@@note== paragraph.

@@advanced This is an ==\@@advanced== paragraph.

@@todo This is a ==\@@todo== paragraph.

!Navigation
--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch
Michael Roberts
2010-04-18 14:37:02 UTC
cheers Lukas, can you check how it has rendered, i am not sure the
copy/paste has quite worked?

Mike
--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch
Lukas Renggli
2010-04-18 17:15:13 UTC
Post by Michael Roberts
cheers Lukas, can you check how it has rendered, i am not sure the
copy/paste has quite worked?
Looks good, except for the part on keywords. Probably the mail messed
up some line wrappings.

Lukas
Post by Michael Roberts
Mike
--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch
Tudor Girba
2010-04-18 17:19:57 UTC
Fixed.

Doru
Post by Lukas Renggli
Post by Michael Roberts
cheers Lukas, can you check how it has rendered, i am not sure the
copy/paste has quite worked?
Looks good, except for the part on keywords. Probably the mail messed
up some line wrappings.
Lukas
Post by Michael Roberts
Mike
--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

"Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot
be done."
Stéphane Ducasse
2010-04-18 17:51:38 UTC
this is really cool to see this collaborative space taking shape.
I should start to write other chapters directly there too
Post by Tudor Girba
Fixed.
Doru
Post by Lukas Renggli
Post by Michael Roberts
cheers Lukas, can you check how it has rendered, i am not sure the
copy/paste has quite worked?
Looks good, except for the part on keywords. Probably the mail messed
up some line wrappings.
Lukas
Post by Michael Roberts
Mike
Javier Pimás
2010-04-19 01:56:45 UTC
Hi!! When reading the book I feel a bit lost, "out of context", I'd like to
be able to see what part of the book I'm reading. I think it would be
reeeaaally nice to have the navigation section to the right show more of
this context, not just the next and previous pages. Something more like a
small table of contents relative to the page being read. What do you think?
Do you think it'd be possible/reasonable?

Regards,
Javier.

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 2:51 PM, St?phane Ducasse <stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Post by Stéphane Ducasse
this is really cool to see this collaborative space taking shape.
I should start to write other chapters directly there too
Post by Tudor Girba
Fixed.
Doru
Post by Lukas Renggli
Post by Michael Roberts
cheers Lukas, can you check how it has rendered, i am not sure the
copy/paste has quite worked?
Looks good, except for the part on keywords. Probably the mail messed
up some line wrappings.
Lukas
Post by Michael Roberts
Mike
Post by Tudor Girba
Post by Lukas Renggli
Post by Michael Roberts
Post by Tudor Girba
Post by Lukas Renggli
Post by Michael Roberts
Post by Tudor Girba
Post by Lukas Renggli
--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch
"Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be
done."
Javier Pim?s
Ciudad de Buenos Aires
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
I made a slew of minor edits. Here were some impressions that I didn't have
enough information to fix:

Announcements @ http://book.pharo-project.org/book/announcements
* I'd like to see a short explanation of the trade-offs involved in
announcements vs. simple message sends. The page speaks vaguely to this,
but I think it would be very valuable to have a "Smalltalk Best Practice
Patterns"-style description of the pros and cons of each so people can make
informed decisions in their projects.

Fixing underscores @
http://book.pharo-project.org/book/TipsAndTricks/FixingUnderscores
* I wasn't sure whether this was an instruction, a suggestion, or merely an
option. Is this necessary? personal preference? Again, some background
would help.

List of Plugins @
http://book.pharo-project.org/book/Virtual-Machine/VMPlugins/VMPluginsList
* "GeniePlugin : This plugin implements the functionality of" ???
* "SurfacePlugin : This plugin is a fake" uh, what, lol

Traits @ http://book.pharo-project.org/book/Traits:
* This one I found very tough. Especially the initial part of the
BulletinBoard example. I wasn't sure how I would play with the example in
my own image. For instance, what should the subclass of BulletinBoard be?

* "BoardListener new listenAndReact
makes sure that each time the method announceNewAddedItem is executed on the
created bulletinBoard, the event is received by the listener." Does it? It
seems to just write to the Transcript, and not be connected to the listener
at all.

* "Open an inspector on the expression above" - which expression?

* "! Going deeper
When applying a trait to a class it may face different situations."

* "!!Using Alias to access a hidden method" This section (the beginning
anyway), seemed to describe something different than the title here.

It's great to have a resource like this - let's squeeze all the juice out of
it.

Sean
laurent laffont
2010-04-19 06:45:25 UTC
Post by Sean P. DeNigris
http://book.pharo-project.org/book/Virtual-Machine/VMPlugins/VMPluginsList
* "GeniePlugin : This plugin implements the functionality of" ???
* "SurfacePlugin : This plugin is a fake" uh, what, lol
Thanks for your help Sean.

For list of Plugins I've just extracted the first sentence of each Plugin's
comment for start.... to be continued :)

I would like to add for each plugin whether it's safe to built it internal
or external.

A section on how to write its own plugin would be cool.

And how to interface to an existing library. (QT, GTK, Webkit, ...) too.

Can someone write the Mac OSX / Windows way to build the VM ?

Post by Sean P. DeNigris
http://book.pharo-project.org/book/Virtual-Machine/VMPlugins/VMPluginsList
* "GeniePlugin : This plugin implements the functionality of" ???
* "SurfacePlugin : This plugin is a fake" uh, what, lol
Thanks for your help Sean.
For list of Plugins I've just extracted the first sentence of each Plugin's comment for start.... to be continued :)
I would like to add for each plugin whether it's safe to built it internal or external.
A section on how to write its own plugin would be cool.
there is a chapter in the new blue book on my free books web page that explains that.
We could get inspired.
Post by Sean P. DeNigris
And how to interface to an existing library. (QT, GTK, Webkit, ...) too.
Can someone write the Mac OSX / Windows way to build the VM ?
Yes jean-baptiste has that on his todo.
Post by Sean P. DeNigris
Cheers,
Laurent Laffont
Stéphane Ducasse
2010-04-19 08:50:06 UTC
thanks
Post by Sean P. DeNigris
http://book.pharo-project.org/book/TipsAndTricks/FixingUnderscores
* I wasn't sure whether this was an instruction, a suggestion, or merely an
option. Is this necessary? personal preference? Again, some background
would help.
I fixed that.
Post by Sean P. DeNigris
[...]
I will fix the rest later.
Post by Sean P. DeNigris
Sean
Michael Roberts
2010-04-19 07:14:10 UTC
Post by Tudor Girba
Fixed.
Doru
thanks!
Mike
Stéphane Ducasse
2010-04-18 11:10:34 UTC
yes please do.

Stef
Post by laurent laffont
OK thanks.
The page http://book.seaside.st/system/howto can be added somewhere in Pharo book ?
Cheers,
Laurent Laffont
Post by Stéphane Ducasse
for block
==
==
==
now pier use shout to help and when this is
I would only use
==
==
==
for Smalltalk, otherwise the highlighting is not correct. For Unix commands use
=
=
=
Lukas
Post by Stéphane Ducasse
Post by laurent laffont
Cheers,
Laurent Laffont
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch
Sean P. DeNigris
2010-04-18 14:24:46 UTC
I would love to contribute to the book (I'm great at catching grammatical
mistakes as I read). It seems like a login is needed - how do I get one?

Thanks.
- Sean
Stéphane Ducasse
Stéphane Ducasse
2010-04-18 10:35:03 UTC
ok my mistake!
Post by Lukas Renggli
Post by Stéphane Ducasse
for block
==
==
==
now pier use shout to help and when this is
I would only use
==
==
==
for Smalltalk, otherwise the highlighting is not correct. For Unix commands use
=
=
=
Lukas